Friday, June 15, 2012

recycled room












  After the television was moved from this little 13' by 13' room into the finished basement the room lost it's function.  I actually had two areas that looked like living rooms adjoining each other.  They were separated by a pair of pocket french doors.  This one was a little more casual, but the room was rarely used once the TV was gone.  It did not make sense to have two living rooms. 






I decided to make this room into a dining room using and recycling pieces of furniture that I already had in the house.  My goal was to keep from spending money, so I set a limit of staying under $500 which I was able to do.


The dining room table and chairs were something that I had for about ten years.  It was a yard sale find -  and even though I loved the old pine I bought it for the kids to use as a game, craft, snack table in the basement.  It was a mess, I refinished the table by stripping off the old finish, sanding out the scratches & marks and applying a fresh coat of clear poly.











the serving table was made from an old door and some scrap wood.






I moved paintings, accessories and curtains from other rooms














My Mom recently found this old factory shoe rack at a yard sale in her neighborhood.  She called me a few weeks ago from the sale to ask if  she should get it for me - it was $65 
Thanks Mom






it is the perfect place to pile more white ironstone











This old pine cabinet was being used to hold books and magazines in my living room.  I had found it on Craig's List in the Hamptons for $200.  I just moved it from that room into this room and now it is holds a collection of white ironstone, linens and other tableware.







Here is the light fixture that replaced the old flush mount ceiling light. It retails for about $250




the room re-do was mostly work not money.  It came it under $400 using what I already owned.  The room looks bigger, brighter and now functions as a dining room.




which got me thinking...




 Since I removed the big pine cupboard from the living room to use in the dining room that got me started on making that room over.  

what am I getting myself into!
 Hint ...lots & lots of natural artist canvas

No comments:

Post a Comment