Wednesday, June 27, 2012

natural canvas for a change









I had natural canvas slipcovered sofas in the room that became my new dining room. After re-doing the room I had an extra sofa and a love seat that needed to be incorporated into my existing living room.  The only problem was that I needed to blend the two furniture styles and colors. 







 I loved my old bleached pine coffee table, so I moved that into the space and replaced the glass and metal one.  This started me on a roll.



I wanted to keep the room casual, simple and easy to care for.  One of my favorite books for inspiration is SUMMER HOUSE by Terry John Woods. When I saw the chairs of the front cover I new what to do.




I am a huge fan of natural canvas slipcovers.  Since I was was tackling this room I decided to change the entire look and the style to something much more casual & comfy with a beach cottage feel.



this is what it used to look like

even Clementine looks uncomfortable here




Since I like to challenge myself to spend as little money as possible I used as much of my old stuff that I had in the house as I could.


  I brought this nautical chart out of the basement to use - which inspired me to incorporate some soft shades of coastal blue into the room




which looks nice with my $7 candle from the Pottery Barn outlet





I have some left over paint that is one of my favorite blues
 Gossamer Blue from Benjamin Moore

I am going to use little touches of this color in the design









my neighbor is helping to slipcover my old furniture - its was her suggestion to look for natural duck cloth or un-primed artist canvas and purchase it wholesale by the roll.   It cost under $175 for 20 yards of fabric


here is one chairs that we finished










It is incredibly tough and durable, and since I have three teenagers and my boys are giant beasts this is a perfect choice







The room is starting to feel comfy








I sent for fabric samples (which I recommend)  and they arrived within just a few days






here are two sources that have wholesale priced upholstery natural canvas duck cloth by the roll









as soon as the I am finished I will show the big change

No comments:

Post a Comment