Wednesday, May 23, 2012

the $25 chandelier experiment

I turned a simple chandelier into...
 a unique designer beach cottage style light fixture
for about $25






 

this oyster incrusted chandelier cost
$1,452.00

if you like the look - but not the price you can make something just as beachy cool for a fraction of the cost

here is what I started with



This is the light fixture that was discarded. I had it sitting in my garage for over a year.   I knew I wanted to do something to the chandelier using shells some day.  My husband cleaned out the garage over the weekend. I was suddenly motivated to work on the chandelier - if you know what I mean.


oyster shells are free on the beach, or maybe you have connections at a fish market or restaurant



this 5 lb bag of crushed shells cost about $10






SUPPLY LIST:
one plain hanging candelabra style chandelier (mine was found in the trash ) FREE
one 5 lb. bag crushed oyster shells (used as chicken food & found in feed supply stores) $10
I used oyster shells from the local beach (you can also use scallop shells, beach glass, driftwood pieces,  assorted shells, pebbles - whatever)
household glue that dries pretty quickly $5
hot glue sticks $3
1/2"  disposable paint brush for applying glue $1
spray on protective poly $6
total cost $25
plus you will need a place to make a mess









The light fixture I had was a simple five arm metal candelabra with textured metallic gold and tan paint finish.  The candle sleeves were white plastic




here are my supplies




The messy part is brushing glue onto the surface of the fixture, including the candle sleeves - then covering the glue with the crushed oyster shells.  I worked sections at a time - top to bottom.
 I found out after I started that this is best done outdoors over one of those big plastic storage bins







I placed the shell dusted sleeves back onto the fixture then hot glued six oyster shells onto each candle holder (three on the top and three on the bottom) in a sort of natural circle around the candle








after I glued on my oysters,  I brushed glue on the exposed surface areas of the fixture and dusted them with the crushed oyster shells. I covered the entire light fixture with the crushed oyster shells












once I was happy with how much crushed oyster shells that were on the surface,  I sealed it with spray on polyurethane in clear satin finish  - let it dry and placed in the bulbs




































from boring to beach house fabulous for $25






a savings of $1,427.00




I am joining the 
TRANSFORMATION THURSDAY PARTY
over at the

No comments:

Post a Comment